Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Limits on Growing Up

For the most part, Riley reminds us every day in little ways how much he wants to be a big kid. He calls his stool a "big boy chair". When we tried him in Pull-Ups a few weeks ago, they were his "big boy pants". He calls the older boys on the street that he loves playing with "big boys".

So I was relieved the other night to finally get a glimpse of him still wanting to be little. After his bath, he was completely uncooperative in getting dried off. "No towel, mommy." Instead of letting him run around the house drenched and naked, I scooped him up in his towel and started signing "Rockabye Baby." Not exactly sure why, since I'm pretty sure I've never sung it to him in the past 2 years when it would've been more appropriate. Nonetheless, he loved it and has requested "More baby" the past few nights at bedtime. He insists on me wrapping him up in his blanket and holding him across my arms and rocking him as if he is still 8 pounds instead of 30. He starts giggling as we near the end of the song when I sing, "I'll catch you Riley, cradle and all." I think he thinks it's awesome that a song has his name in it. He requests "more baby" a few more times and I am happy to oblige. Looking down at this huge kid in my arms, grinning as if I'd hung the moon, is a sight that I hope I never forget.

No comments: