Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sweet Big Brother

I know I talked in a prior post about how special the evenings in Maine, when Riley and I would "help Chase sleep" were so important to me. I did not realize that they were special to Riley too. Back at home after our vacation and back to our regular routine, Casey was in charge of getting Riley ready for bed while I was feeding Chase and putting him down. Not long into this, I heard Riley crying, saying, "But Daddy, I help Monny* put Chase sleep." It was so sweet, and alone in the dark in Chase's room, I got teary. Tonight it struck me that although I think Riley enjoyed that time with me, he also geniunely liked feeling like he was helping Chase. By the time Riley was in his jammies and ready for bed, I had already left Chase's room. When he saw me, Riley got a very puzzled look on his face and asked why I wasn't helping Chase sleep. I explained that Chase was such a big boy now that he could put himself to sleep without our help anymore. I'm not sure who is more disappointed, me or Riley. I will miss those sweet times together with my two boys. *Yes, Riley still calls me "Monny". After reading one of these blogs, Casey realized that I loved having my own special label and started referring to me as "Monny" and Riley picked it back up. I love it!

No comments: