Sunday, January 25, 2009

On Nesting

I have heard of the "nesting" instinct that seems to afflict many pregnant women, but until today, I sort of thought it was a myth. Well, I can tell you firsthand that this is no myth. It's reality...

It started out innocently enough. I set out to change the sheets on our bed. When I walked into our bedroom with the sheets, I noticed that a drawer on Casey's nightstand was sticking out a little bit. I silently cursed him for not closing it all the way and attempted to close it myself, only to find that it would not close all the way. I determined that something was stuck behind the drawer and tried to reach in with my hand to pull the mystery item out. No luck. So I improvised and grabbed a wire hanger and tried to fish the item out. Success!!!

Or so I thought until I attempted to close the drawer. Still wouldn't shut all the way. Back in went the wire hanger. Out came another item. And on and on it went until Casey came into the room, asked what on earth I was doing, and proceeded to move the nightstand onto the bed for a better look. Ten minutes later, after Casey pulled item after item out from behind the drawer by hand, we (well, Casey, actually) finally figured that the drawer could be removed from the nightstand. The remainer of the "stuck" items were removed with ease, and the drawer now shuts.

Problem was that because Casey moved the nightstand onto the bed to investigate the problem, it was no longer in its usual place on the floor and we discovered how disgusting it was behind and underneath the nightstand. We found a remote control that I'd accused Casey of throwing away 6 months ago, a few of Wrigley's tennis balls, a cup, and a whole lot of fur and dust. So I grabbed the vacuum to take care of the mess. After that area was all cleaned out, I noticed how disgusting it also was behind the bed. I blame the dogs. More vacuuming. Then I decided it must be equally dirty underneath the bed. More vacuuming. And then I realized the blinds behind our bed were also dusty. More vacuuming. This led me to notice that the other blinds in the bedroom were also dusty. More vacuuming. And while I was vacuuming those blinds, I noticed that the window sills were dirty. More vacuuming. And then I noticed how dirty the ceiling fan was. More vacuuming. It got so bad that I can honestly say that I vacuumed all four walls in our bedroom. You heard me right, I vacuumed the walls.

This whole process took about four hours. I was exhausted. And guess what?!? The sheets never did get changed...

No wonder our husbands think we're crazy.

1 comment:

Nancy M. said...

Kelly, this story is too funny!

By the way, my double-secret word verification word (in order to post this( is "peeing", which I also think is pretty funny!