Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence

What Independence Day would be complete without a few trips to the pool? Chase has never been afraid of the water, but it seems that recently he's taken a real interest in it. He would climb up and down the ramp leading into the pool for hours if you'd let him with a little bit of splashing mixed in. He isn't terribly interested in the little float he can sit it -- sitting still for long enough to relax is not his style. He loves to stand inside the pool and play with toys that are sitting poolside. Today as he was standing in the pool, I noticed he got a bit agitated after awhile and seemed to be trying to climb out. Mistaking this for a sign that he was tired of the pool, I picked him up and started walking him towards our table. He was not pleased, so I put him back down on the side of the pool and he immediately started to climb back in. After about 2 seconds, he was agitated again and trying to climb out. It took two or three times of this pattern before I finally realized that climbing in and out was the point. I look forward to the day when he can use words, but in the meantime, it's awesome that he can communicate now. He is starting to point at things that he wants, and also appears to be waving his hands to signal "all done" when he's done eating (either that or Casey, Riley and I are just interpreting it as that and making a big fuss about nothing). He is also pointing at objects and saying "dah" which roughly translated I think means "what's that?"

It's awesome to be able to communicate with him some, but I must admit, his new-found independence makes me a little bit sad. My baby is growing up much too quickly.

No comments: