Monday, May 10, 2010

Dear Riley

Dear Riley,

Today marks the day that Daddy comes home from his trip -- the longest he has ever been away from any of us since you were 7 weeks old and didn't know the difference. I just want to thank you for these five days of letting me get to know you all by myself. We all missed Daddy terribly, but it was so fun being able to share this extra special time with you and Winston and Wrigley. The thing that strikes me most as I reflect on our last five days is that I can't remember one single time that you cried or had a melt down or even seemed the slightest bit out of sorts. You slept well, you ate well, you smiled a lot. You giggled, you clapped, you danced, you talked, you walked, you reached for ME when you needed someone to make it better when you stumbled. You were truly delightful. It is like you sensed that Daddy was gone and you needed to be on your best behavior to help Mommy survive the week.

Not only did I survive the week, but I actually enjoyed it so much that I got a little (OK, a lot) sad when I dropped you off at school this morning. You are turning into such a big boy right in front of my eyes, and I couldn't ask for a sweeter, more lovable little guy. I like to think Daddy and I have something to do with that, but I think you would be special no matter what.

So thank you for being you, and for giving me these five days to see you shine when there was only me in your world.

Love,
Mom

No comments: