Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sunny Days

Today I was amazed by Riley's attention span. It was a gorgeously sunny day, so Riley and I decided to go watch Casey play tennis. The match ended up lasting around 2 hours. For someone who wants nothing more than to be in motion these days, you would think being confined to a small space watching tennis for that long would be pretty awful. Instead, he enjoyed watching his daddy while he played with his trucks.

On that note, I have found myself pondering a number of times recently the fact that it does appear that boys love trucks and cars without any sort of prompting from us. Maybe he sees the other kids at school playing with cars, but we really had never given him cars to play with until he started "driving" other things -- i.e. coasters, books, lids, whatever -- around our house). I wonder why that is.

The other fun thing that we did today was an unexpected treat. We were actually supposed to attend "Woofstock", which was a dog-friendly version of Woodstock (meaning, "bring your dogs and come drink and listen to live music"). However, by the time we had finished our errands and Riley woke up from his nap, we only had about 2 hours before his bedtime. So, we ended up meeting my friend Amanda and her almost 2-year-old son, Clete, at the park near our house. It was so much fun watching the boys "play" together. Neither of them was terribly keen on sharing, but it was still fun to watch them interact anyway. It was also neat to see how much different a year makes -- although Riley seems so old to me right now, next to Clete, he still seemed young. Clete, on the other hand, seemed like a little man. I wonder if I'll think that about Riley next year at this time.

No comments: