Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Strange Day

Unfortunately, this has not been one of my better days. This morning I received a call from my mom letting me know that my dad had been taken by ambulance and hospitalized for what appeared to be heart attack symptoms. It has now been about 10 hours since I received that phone call, and we still do not know exactly what is wrong with my dad.

I have spent the better part of the day contemplating the fact that if a few things had had different results, I very easily could've lost my dad today, and it is a horrible thing to think about. I am not ready for that. I want Riley to know my parents, and I want them to know him. I want Riley to know the amazing people they are, and how much they mean to me, and how they would do absolutely anything for us. I think my dad will probably be fine, but still, it just makes me think that I do not get to see my family nearly enough and wish that were different. With the hustle and bustle of daily life, it seems that I never find the time to pick up the phone and call them, and I don't think I have even been home in 2 years. So today's lesson is to remember to take a few minutes every so often to tell the people that we love how important to us and how much we love them. You just never know if you'll get the chance to do it tomorrow.

I hope that Riley will spend many years with my parents. But for now, I am just grateful for the fact that oftentimes when I look at Riley, I see my dad. I don't know if it's his goofy personality, or his blond hair (like me, my dad used to be blond before age made his hair turn dark), or his smile, or what, but one thing I do know is that being like my dad is not a bad thing at all.

2 comments:

carolinagirl said...

thinking about you and your family! it is amazing how quickly life can change!

Unknown said...

Hope you dad is feeling better !! Will keep him in my prayers!!