Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Out of the Corner of My Eye

Tonight, while I was playing tennis, I caught a glimpse of a man arriving at the courts with his little boy. It wasn't until the point ended that I realized that it was Riley and Casey. Out of the corner of my eye, Riley seemed like a little boy and not a baby. It was at this point that I realized that to perfect strangers, he probably IS a little boy and not a baby. We don't really notice it because we see him grow up a little more each day.

This may say a little bit about my tennis, but all of the highlights of my match were related to watching Riley and Casey. They played with a truck. Casey ran around like a maniac while flailing Riley to his uttermost delight. A man that we do not know wanted to play "Guess the Baby's Age" and guessed Riley at 14 months -- which made us proud because the man thought he was very advanced for his age. Riley came up to the fence that separated my court from them, and hung on while he ate it (the fence). He smiled any time I came close, and flirted with my partner.

Casey also claims that Riley is going to be the class clown. He says he enjoys making people laugh and smile. According to Casey, this became apparent while he was feeding Riley his dinner. Apparently, with a big serving of pureed apples in his mouth, he found it a great time to make "motorboat" noises. Food splatter went everywhere. Upon hearing this story, I lectured Casey on not laughing at such incidents because they will encourage such behavior. And then I thought two things: first, it IS funny and second, every once in awhile isn't it just fun to delight in making people laugh, even if it means all manners have gone out the window????

No comments: