Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

I woke up early today. Not exactly sure why. Quietly got out of bed and went downstairs to make some coffee. It was a beautiful morning and although a part of me wanted to wake up to a sweet little three year old bringing me breakfast in bed, I found myself thoroughly enjoying a peaceful cup of coffee on the side porch by myself with my first two babies, Winston and Wrigley. A little while later Casey came out to join us (it is an extremely rare occasion that I am awake and out of bed before him, so I think he was a bit confused). Riley slept in fairly late, and most of the day was spent doing the usual things -- bagels and coffee, walk to the park with the dogs and Riley (luckily no injuries this time), a trip to the pet store (Riley LOVES to look at the birds and cats and fish and could spend an entire day there if allowed), a trip to a home and garden store (a continuation of my quest to find a cushion and pillows to fit the window seat in the master bedroom, which has now spanned more than a month - guess Casey and Riley were my lucky charms - the first thing we came across was the PERFECT size and we both actually liked the look of it too), lunch and then nap time. During nap time, Casey ran out to run some more errands. I spent about an hour working on the nursery (still not much progress, unfortunately). Then, having realized that we never painted the window seat when I went to put the newly purchased cushion and pillows in place, I began painting (a task I have found to be much more fun with a glass of wine and a friend). Casey returned from his errands and started some yard work. Riley woke up and we decided to let him watch the Red Sox game on the iPad on the side porch while the two of us worked in the yard. When I went to check on Riley at some point, I realized that Casey had purchased some lovely hanging plants while he was out running errands. A nice Mother's Day surprise and they look great. Then Casey allowed me to use his new electric trimmer to trim some of the grossly overgrown bushes. Oh my gosh, is that fun!!! Midway through, I realized that I needed to pull some of the ivy that surrounded them so that the ivy would not kill the bushes. Much to my surprise (although Casey swears he has told me this already), I found that there is a brick border around the bush are indicating that this was an intentionally planted area at some point. This started an ivy pulling frenzy and I got so sidetracked that I didn't even realize that it had started to pour down rain. The rain was a very convenient excuse to stop working, although I have to admit that I was having fun determining that half of the "bushes" I had been trimming were actually weeds that were so large they appeared to be something more exciting. With this new-found border, I am certain that making this area (which runs all the way down the side of our backyard) much more managable will be a whole lot simpler now that we know what is in the intentionally planted area and what is nothing more than a really, really large weed. Casey treated me by making a fabulous dinner. Since it was raining and we couldn't take our usual pre-bedtime walk, I spent some quality time building a city of blocks with Riley while Casey did the dishes (have I mentioned that I have a wonderful husband). Sometimes I think I enjoy the blocks (which are pretty much large legos) as much if not more than Riley. Riley, on the other hand, enjoys "accidentally" knocking over my wonderful creations much more than I do. Then, sadly, it was time for Riley to go to bed. Per our normal routine, Casey supervised as Riley brushed his teeth, got his jammies on and used the potty. Then it is my turn to take over for the fun part - reading the bedtime story. Lately, Riley has become a master of stalling at bedtime. It used to just be that I'd have to sing him a song when he got into bed. Then he started asking for another glass of water. Then he added a question and answer session about anything he could come up with. Then he started asking if he could read the story to me after I finished reading it to him (I mean really, who can refuse this request?). But still, the bedtime routine (or at least my part of it) was starting to get ridiculous, so I had to make up new rules. Only one glass of water. Only one of us could read the story. If he had to ask me questions, my answers were very brief and and to the point and there was little room for follow-up questions. Well, today, I figured I'd make an exception. After all, it was MY special day, so if I wanted to spoil him with a bit of extra mommy time (or, more accurately, if I wanted to spoil myself with a little more Riley time), so be it. So tonight after the story was over, I told him we could take a few minutes to rock and snuggle in his nursery chair that is growing much too small for us on a daily basis. He was thrilled, and snuggled into my side as we rocked. I have no idea how much time had passed, but at some point, I woke up to find that Riley and I had both fallen asleep. I can't remember the last time that happened, and it was such a sweet and perfect ending to a fantastically simple Mother's Day. I am very lucky indeed.

No comments: