Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Why?

Well, we have officially hit the "Why" stage. Truly, I had no idea I would find this to be such a challenge. After all, I could just say, "I don't know." Or make something up. Plenty of options. Instead, I find myself trying to actually answer his questions. For example, on our drive home from school today Riley said, "I'm a husband." No idea where that one came from, but I quickly told him that he is, in fact, not a husband. To which he replied, "Why?" Me: "Well, in order to be a husband you have to be married." Guess what his response was? "Why?" My next answer, "Well, only grown ups get married." Riley: "Why?" Ugh. Reaching for straws, "Only grown ups are emotionally capable of loving each other that much." This clearly did not satisfy him (and may actually be incorrect, who knows). Desperate, I found this coming out of my mouth, "Only adults have the legal capacity to enter into a binding commitment like that." Mercifully, he accepted that answer. I just hope he doesn't tell me that he's a daddy.

No comments: