Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Hello May

Somehow another year has come and gone. Today marks the first day of May, which means I will begin my month-long tribute to all things Riley. He has grown up so much, and I just wish I could stop time... or at least slow it down.

It is astounding to think of what a difference a year makes. Each and every day with a young child seems like an eternity, but each and every year seems to pass in an instant. Last year at this time, Riley was active but not athletic, talking but not completely conversant, silly but not funny, into baseball but not INTO baseball. He may have been anticipating a baby brother, but certainly couldn't have comprehended how much his life would change, and mostly for the better. He had friends, but didn't fully understand what that meant.

Today I turned in the paperwork to register him for school next year. As I was filling it out, I realized that this is the last time I will register him at Foundations at 4-1/2 Street. Next year we will be registering him for kindergarten. Yes, kindergarten. How is that possible? I still remember being with him at the hospital when he was born. I still remember taking him for walks all day long as a baby. I still remember dropping him off for school the first time and how I thought my heart would break. I still remember watching him take his first steps. I still remember the first time he said what we thought was "hey, buddy" but really was "hand buddy" and how he would say it while taking our hands into his and holding on like he never wanted to let go. And I wish he wouldn't, but I know I have to start accepting that he will.

So with that in mind, here's to a month worth of fun stories which will (hopefully) showcase what an amazing little boy he is.

No comments: