Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Corruption by Example

Today was not the best of days for me (Kelly). The stress of having so much on my plate at work, owning two houses and getting very little down time just got to me today. Leave it to Riley (and Casey) to turn things around.

Casey's story is somewhat sweet. I came home from my tennis match (one that I really didn't feel like playing) to find freshly baked chocolate chunk cookies and a sweet note from my husband on the counter. How great is he?!?

Riley's story is more comical in nature. For whatever reason, he is terrified of airplanes these days. If he hears one, he will come running from near or far to wrap himself around your legs and whine, "Airplane" over and over and over until the sound goes away or you can convince him that airplanes are not scary. (Incidentally, his fear of airplanes coincided with a local plane crash a month or so ago. He doesn't watch tv, so it's not like he would've seen the story on the news, but still, I swear it was right around the same time. But I digress.)

In an attempt to distract Riley from yet another fly-over, Casey decided it would be a good idea to show him how to throw food (a piece of banana) into the air and catch it in his mouth. After all, what a cool trick, right? The distraction worked and Riley was delighted by his daddy's skills. Everyone moved on to more entertaining things like some people walking past on the other side of the street. About 5-10 minutes later, as Riley continued eating his banana, he pulled about 1/2 of it out of the banana peel. Before we even knew what was happening, he tossed the 1/2 banana in the air and tried to catch it in his mouth.

Now, we know you are not supposed to laugh at things your kids do that you do not want repeated, but we just could not hold it in this time. I cannot remember the last time I have seen something so simply funny.

I think it was yesterday that I said, "What will he think of next?" I'm afraid to even ask this time.

No comments: