Monday, May 16, 2011

Driving Mr. Riley - Daddy's Turn

Today Casey got out of work a little bit early after meeting with a client. He took the opportunity to pick Riley up from school (something that is normally my responsibility). I received a phone call shortly thereafter to inform me that not only had Riley climbed into the car by himself, but that he had climbed into his car seat all by himself. Casey says it was amazing to watch, but both of us felt a little sad. He is growing up so fast -- pretty soon he won't need us at all. But still, it also makes us proud to think that he is becoming so capable and that he wants to do things on his own.

As an aside: I had had a truly awful day at work today, and when I pulled into the driveway tonight, Casey, Riley, Winston and Wrigley were all sitting on the steps leading to our walkway (I cannot tell you how much it brightens my day to turn onto our street and see them out there waiting for me). When they saw me, the dogs immediately came running and jumped up on the side of my car. Riley grinned from ear to ear, started squealing and ran towards me. Although I know it was mostly because he likes to sit in my lap and honk the horn, turn on the radio, push buttons in the car, etc. as we "drive" up the driveway, I do believe there was a small part of him that also was genuinely excited to see his mommy. Even after a day like today, I couldn't help but feel blessed.

No comments: